Search The Bite

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sorry I'm late!


Brushing the biscuits with buttermilk

So its been a few days, but I have been meaning to blog! lol.

So lets go back. So that Sunday night that (same Sunday I made Rice Krispies on!) was taco night! I happen to LOVE taco night! We bought these new(er) tortillas that we found at Safeway that are the smaller size, and are a corn/whole wheat blend. I find them delicious! I normally hate mass produced tortillas, but I've found that these have a great taste and texture and are definitely more healthy than the hard shells, which makes me quite happy! In any case, I chop up all the ingredients (onions, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime, and radishes) and put them in my tiny little Fiestaware bowls that make taco night a little more fun! Ryan loves the little bowls. lol. I should have taken a photo, but alas, I did not.


Pan-frying the Cheerio Chicken

Monday! I DID take some pictures Monday! I tried something a little new. I made for the first time some sage biscuits from Blackbird Grain Farms. Its an organic heirloom grain biscuit mix. Now, these had a great taste, they were a little crumbly vs flaky, and for those of us that think KFC has the best biscuit ever, they are a little dry and not what you immediately expect out of a biscuit. HOWEVER, after that initial (and ridiculous) shock that your home-made, all natural, heirloom grain biscuit is not a KFC or Pillsbury biscuit...they are delicious! I constantly have to remind myself when I'm baking or cooking to be in the moment and not compare my food to things that aren't even real. Like KFC/canned biscuits. You just can not possibly make that in your kitchen, and I doubt that you would even want whatever they put in those in your home. lol. Anyway, on to the side dish. We have a ton of sweet potatoes right now, so I decided to dice some up (in decent sized bits) drizzle them with olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and a little extra garlic powder for good measure. Obviously if you've got fresh thyme use it! It is SO much better than the ground up powder you get in the spice isle. I gave it a little toss and put it in a casserole dish in a 400 degree oven for, lets say...30-45 minutes?? obviously the bigger you make the pieces the longer they'll need to cook.. I make a great healthy baked chicken dish that uses Wheatabix for the coating, but since I did not have Wheatabix I had to improvise with Cheerios. I first pounded out one chicken breast (ensuring that we get only one serving size of meat each) and then pounded and pulverized those poor little O's..To the bag that I beat the O's in I added some whole grain flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and sage (seasoning heavily) and shook it about until it was well blended. Then I made an egg wash, but what I did this time was beat one egg with a tsp of "Better Than Bouillon" that gave it some good flavor there as well. Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the cereal mix and bake it or pan "fry" it until nice and crispy! Its always tender and delicious. However if you're going to try this I definitely recommend Wheatabix. The Cheerio's weren't bad, but Wheatabix is definitely better in this application.







Steaming some veggies for the pasta

Tuesday Night was a little simpler. I boiled up some organic, whole grain pasta (ziti) and sauteed up some chicken breast in olive oil with garlic and basil, shitake mushrooms, and carrot. Steamed up some broccoli and asparagus spears, and tossed it all together with some pesto and sunflower seeds. My first choice of mushroom would definitely be crimini for this, but Tuesday was a, "my fridge is full of stuff that is about to or is going bad" type of a night, so I scrounged and made a healthy pasta dish! Woo! And for dessert, because I've had a terrible sweet tooth lately, I baked some sweet potatoes (just like you would a regular potato) and split em, put a little smart balance on em and sprinkled a little brown sugar and cinnamon on them. Delicious! Even the husband liked them.

And Wednesday night was even more simple. I took a can of Amy's fat-free vegetable soup and added the left over taco meat from Sunday and Viola! Easy, if not a little too spicy for my tastes, dinner. I also had a left over biscuit. They are quite good but best eaten straight out of the oven.

Pasta in the back and chicken for sauce in front!
 Now that we are caught up, hopefully I will not fall so far behind again! While I'm not putting a strict goal of blogging every night, when I have good dinners to blog about, I should just stop being lazy and do it that night! TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment