Search The Bite

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Burger Bonanza!

 
So, yes, I'm trying to eat better. And yes. I had big awesome burgers last night. Oh well. My brother-in-law came over for dinner and I learned a shocking fact about him....he doesn't like bacon on things. Burgers, BLT's, in chowder, soup, bacon maple bars, nothing. Just plain...at least he liked it plain or I might have kicked him out of my house. lol

I'm sure I've said how much I love taco night, but I am also finding that I love burger nights...I will love it even more when we have a BBQ and I can send my husband away to go tend to the burgers and I can do what needs to be done inside!


 
Onion Goggles provide protection AND entertainment! lol
In any case, I made up some burgers with all natural hamburger (not organic, so who knows what that means.) crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and of course an egg (actually 2). I wished I had not been out of Worcestershire sauce...because that is obviously great in there! I sauteed up some mushrooms, sliced an heirloom tomato, a sweet onion, and fried up a couple strips of bacon. Delish.
 I also made an herbed horseradish mayo! You guys should know that I don't measure...anything...ever. lol. I took maybe a 1/4C mayo and maybe 1-2tsp horseradish and 1-2 tsp of chopped fresh rosemary, mixed it together and viola! delicious, and easy flavorful mayo great for burgers or roast beef sandwiches!

For the side my husband made his AMAZING sweet potato fries. I know I've posted about them in the past, but really people...once you try these you never go back. I will NEVER let another frozen potato product enter my house again...What a waste. These however are so good, moist, flavorful, crisp on the outside...just wonderful.

Preheat your oven to 450F.

 
Sweet potato fries in the oven

While the oven is preheating (mine takes awhile.lol) peel and cut your sweet potatoes into whatever shapes/sizes you deem acceptable, keeping in mind that the thinner/smaller the pieces are the quicker they will cook and the the thicker they are the longer they will take to cook. Put those in a medium size mixing bowl (we generally use 2-3 moderately sized sweet potatoes). In that mixing bowl, drizzle the potatoes with a decent amount of olive oil, (again, I don't measure but if I had to guess I'd say 2-3 Tb). Crush and mince 2 cloves of garlic (we use big ones) and add it to the bowl with salt and pepper to fit your tastes. (I use freshly ground pepper and Trader Joe's sea salt, both because the have great flavor, and I don't have to use as much salt when it has a lot of flavor). Toss all the ingredients with your hands until all fries are coated with the oil/garlic/salt/pepper.

To prepare your cookie sheet, cover the bottom with foil and then place wire cooling racks on top of the foil. This ensures proper air flow and helps get those puppies crispy.
Place the fries (and any extra garlic) on a prepared cookie sheet, making sure they do not touch each other.
Mildly Creepy Spongebob

Bake for roughly 30 minutes, taking into account the size fry you made =)


Before I even started dinner, I bolted outside at the sound of the FIRST ice cream truck of the season! They were out of Spidermans so I had to settle for Spongebobs. So we enjoyed our slightly creepy ice cream treats with an episode of The Office. A good time was had by all.



2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love the enthusiasm in this post (:! From what I've read off of your blog posts, you're a phenomenal cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and foods! So much fun to read and share what you are doing :)

    ReplyDelete